Five Nights at Freddy’s: Don’t let critics scare you from film for FNAF fans and others

Film light on FNAF lore, but good for variety of audiences

On Oct. 27, the iconic game franchise Five Nights at Freddy’s released its first official movie. I was lucky enough to be able to watch this movie on opening night and I’m gonna give you my non-spoiler review of the movie.

Now if you haven’t played the games or watched any videos on Five Nights at Freddy’s more known as FNAF for short here’s the gist of it, FNAF is a horror game franchise made by Scott Cawthon. This game contains many silly animals and portrays them as life sized animatronics and adds a horror aspect to the mix of it as well. The game contains characters such as Freddy Fazbear, Chica, Foxy, Bonnie and dozens of more characters included as well.

Over the years this game franchise has gained fame from releasing an entire movie to multiple famous YouTubers speaking on and playing the games.

FNAF is a successful business because Scott has been able to release eight games throughout the years, with a ninth (Five Nights at Freddy’s: Help Wanted 2) on the way.

Now on to the review of the movie.

The introduction to the movie was very nostalgic, especially for fans who have been playing the games since they were children. It showed the audience what FNAF is supposed to be like and what it is as a whole. From that point on the movie was good, until we reached the point in which a lot of movie critics referred to as the “worst scene” in the movie.

Honestly, it wasn’t a bad scene but this scene made the movie feel as if it was more of a movie for kids and kind-of bypassed the horror aspect of the movie from then on. Also, for hardcore FNAF fans, the lore in this movie is for the most part simplified.

I expected this movie to simplify the lore since describing the entirety of FNAF in one file would be very hard to accomplish.

All in all, this movie is worth a watch whether you are a FNAF fan or not.

Although the movie did poorly in critic’s reviews, the franchise has a three-movie deal meaning that there are two confirmed sequels in the coming years. This movie is a good watch for your friends, family, and yourself to watch.

It shows how games can be adapted into movies as long as they have the right directing and writing.