MAST Academy’s NHS Tutoring

MAST Academy’s National Honor Society is offering free after school tutoring.
Courtesy Mila Angeletti
NHS member tutoring student at MAST Academy cafeteria over the past year.

What do they do?:

The National Honor Society (NHS) is a national organization that has 4 pillars:  Academics, character, service, and leadership. They contribute to the school and the community through service projects and donations.

The National Honor Society is an organization that recognizes outstanding high school students who have shown excellence in the areas of scholarship, character, leadership, and service. To help cultivate the students’ efforts in these areas, they organize tutoring sessions, drives, and college workshops which take place towards the end of the year.

NHS member and MAST Academy student Mila Angeletti, says, “We are looking forward to introducing new ideas to the club this year that encourage the skills the National Honor Society seeks to cultivate in its members.”

Why are they doing this?:

They offer tutoring to encourage academic improvement in students as well as help strengthen subject comprehension and their confidence in a certain subject.

How can they help?:

They offer free, one hour long tutoring sessions which can be very helpful for students who are unable to find tutors outside of school. Members of the NHS tutor and help review materials the students covered in class.  They also help students review for tests or with completing projects.

These tutoring sessions are thus extremely helpful for students who struggle in a specific subject or need clarifications on certain topics and don’t have the means to hire a personal tutor.

“The purpose of this club is to create a safe and collaborative environment where students are able to connect and also have help in anything school related. The NHS strives to be an organization where students get their best education and are able to feel extremely comfortable,” NHS member and senior, Violeta Zito, said.

When/where are they doing this?:

The tutoring sessions take place every Monday  at 3:05 p.m. in the cafeteria.

Mila Angeletti’s Opinion:

“I think I speak for the entire board of NHS when I say that I do really enjoy giving students the chance to improve academically and foster new interests in various subject areas. It is not only useful for the students who receive tutoring, but it is also helpful for the members themselves as it helps develop leadership and service skills in the members of NHS. I do think the tutoring we offer is beneficial to students. The tutoring is directed by some of MAST’s most academically driven students which is significantly helpful in ensuring that the students get the help they need. The tutoring sessions are open to students from every grade level, so the benefits reach even the youngest students at MAST. Not to mention, as a former member [of the middle school crowd] myself, I have always heard positive feedback about the tutoring NHS offers, therefore I am glad to be giving students this opportunity.”

Violeta Zito’s Opinion:

“I love the NHS; I feel like the environment is very inclusive and provides an environment that encourages work and team building. I believe NHS benefits the students greatly, not only for helping them with homework, but also encouraging students to improve their studying and organizational skills, encouraging responsibility.”