MAST Academy swimming pool closed for upgrades

The swimming pool at MAST Academy temporarily closed by administration to carry out upgrades
The MAST Academy Boys’ Swim Team preparing for a race at the MAST Academy pool.

During the afternoon of September 27th, Mr Semeraro, one of MAST Academy’s vice principals, sent an email to staff notifying them that MAST Academy’s swimming pool has been closed until further notice.

“The anticipated reopening is next week Thursday or Friday barring no further issues are encountered,” Semeraro wrote in his original email.

Since then, Mr. Semeraro has shed new light as to why the swimming pool was closed: an upgrade.

“The pool is currently getting an upgrade, new pool pump, new valve fittings,” Semeraro said in an interview with The Beacon.

Current equipment in the pool is over 30 years old, and for the past two years administration has been working with a contractor to perform a much needed upgrade. The upgrading process was originally planned to begin September 25th and finish September 27th, however the contractor pushed the date back.

Beginning on Monday, October 2nd, the contractor will work to install the new pump and valve fittings. Administration plans to have the installation finished and pool reopened by Thursday, October 5th.

Following the installation of the new pool pump and valve fittings, administration will work to begin installing two brand new heaters for the pool. The installation of the heaters will not close the pool. The final upgrade to the pool, a complete resurface, will occur over the summer.

“With the help of the staff, the principal, the school, the parents, it was a collective effort to get this done,” Semeraro said.

Swimming sports are not expected to be affected while the new pump and valve fittings are installed according to administration.