No stay at home sophomore

For this issue, we asked our writers to highlight some of our Makos’ opinions about returning back to school or staying online.

Graphic created by Theo Miller

By Ella Lima
Staff Writer

If you are getting tired of school at home and are excited to go back, you are not alone. There are many students at MAST Academy feeling the same way as you, such as sophomore Sofia Perez. 

Perez and her family made the choice of going back to school. For some people, online school is getting exhausting and stressful. In Perez’s case, she says, “I just want to get out of the house. I feel like I’m stuck.”

When asked if she would change her choice of going back to school, Perez replied with, “I wouldn’t change my choice because I just hate being home, and I love seeing people.” 

Like many, Perez is looking forward to being in class again. Although there are many risks to going back to school, Perez and many other students are willing to face them head-on.  

“I chose to go back because when I’m looking at the computer screen, I don’t pay attention because there’s so many things that can distract me, and when I’m in physical, I pay way more attention because it’s the only thing I need to do,” Perez said.

Perez is excited to get up out of bed and to be productive. Many students are having the same issue with feeling lazy or tired of being at home. Despite her eagerness, she has some fears as well. “My only fear is that someone gets sick with corona, and we have to go back to online school,” Perez said.

Another struggle for her is the amount of work she is responsible for. “The teachers are just overloading me with homework and with essays,” Perez said.

Perez was asked what her biggest challenge with online was, she responded with “Even though the teachers try to teach as much as they can, it’s not enough for me to retain the information.” Many of the students at MAST are struggling whether it’s with being online or going back to school. So, if you feel stressed and overworked, know that many students are going through and working to get past the same thing.