Track and Field team close to start

Other new sports targeted for MAST Academy

For years, aspiring MAST athletes have hoped for new sports opportunities. This year, MAST will be offering one confirmed and another potential school sport. Track and field is officially going to be part of the school’s athletics program.

MAST Academy has never had a track and field program to boast of, and now that will become a new reality for the schools athletic reputation. Track and field is a field sport featuring athletic events oriented around running, jumping and throwing. Because of availability and the necessary equipment needed, MAST track and field will only offer running and jumping events in 2022-2023. However, this doesn’t deter MAST’s aspiring athletes.

Junior Keslyne Gedeon is very excited about this new opportunity that MAST is bringing to interested athletes. “Track is something I’ve been wanting to do since forever,” Gedeon said. “I’m so excited that they’ve decided to add it this year.”

Gedeon expressed her plans to try out for the team and stated that, in preparation for tryouts, “I am trying my hardest to go on a run every single day after school.”

On Oct. 20, there was an organized meeting to inform any interested athletes about how to try out for the team and other details. Many students showed up and the general ambience was one of interest and excitement. Although some logistics still need to be arranged, coaches Ms. Soto and Chief Joseph are excited and determined for this new addition in the school.

Ms. Soto, an environmental management teacher during the school day, will coach the girls track and field team.

“This is the first time the school has offered track and field. There is a lot of pressure,” Soto said of the opportunity. “But I am confident that this will be a very positive addition for the school. . . . I am looking for some real talent on the field.”

Ms. Soto has also shared that there has been apparent interest in the sport, and aspiring athletes are waiting for a chance to join.

The other sport that may or may not be added to MAST’s athletics program is a boys’ volleyball team. There have been attempts at giving life to this idea.  MAST Academy athletics director Mr. Couzo said when asked about the possibility, “We are working on it.”

Despite the uncertainty, many hopeful students have expressed their interest and motivation in joining this potential team.

“I’m pretty excited for the volleyball tryouts . . . they are going to be fun,” junior Zane Clark said.

Clark has been attempting to “rigorously train everyday by training with my friends.”