107 Taste of Heaven

By: Isa Martinez

Staff Writer

If you are looking for some traditional Pan-Asian dishes with a modern twist, 107 Taste is the place to go. Just across the street from Florida International University’s main campus, this trendy spot serves a number of creative Asian dishes. The restaurant offers a variety of meals, including flavorful noodles, refreshing bubble tea, and sweet crepe cakes. Their menus feature modern Asian cuisine as well as classic Asian flavors. The restaurant may be small, but 107 Taste’s atmosphere is certainly welcoming and lively. Junior Isabella Blandon has been coming to the restaurant since the beginning of freshman year.

“The food here is absolutely amazing and the staff are the nicest people you’ll meet. 107 Taste makes you feel at home and the whole place is just a 10/10,” Blandon said. 

107 Taste was founded by Chef Yu and her husband Dr. Lei back in 2016. Ever since she was a young girl, Yu fantasized about creating her very own restaurant. Yu was brought up by her grandparents in a remote village in northwestern China.  The chef’s grandmother had been a chef as well for more than 20 years and her grandfather worked at a wonton restaurant in Szechuan, China during the 1930s. Yu’s earliest memories are full of her grandparents’ affection and her grandmother’s unmatched love meals. The story behind 107 Taste is inspiring and goes to show the authentic essence of the restaurant: a place for friends and family to come together and have a good meal.

Chef Yu and Dr. Lei have traveled to multiple Asian countries since the opening of 107 Taste to explore local Asian cuisine and develop new recipe ideas.  The restaurant provides a wide range of Asian dishes to satisfy all of your food cravings. The Cheesy Noodle on Fire is the ideal combination of melted cheese, spicy noodles, and crunchy green peppers for those with a spicier palate. Paired with the sweet and refreshing strawberry iced tea and your meal is bound to be a taste of heaven. The Yaki Udon, a stir-fried bowl of udon noodles and mixed vegetables, is one of the many vegan options at 107 Taste.

The Cheesy Noodle on Fire is hot, spicy, and perfect for those who can handle a bit of spice. (Photo by Isa Martinez)

“As a vegan, sometimes it is difficult to find a meal that is vegan and tastes really good. But the Yaki Udon and vegetable spring rolls are to die for, I order it every time I go,” Blandon said.

The aesthetically pleasing interior design and dim lighting ensure a relaxing environment at first glance. The combination of scents enhances the desire to try everything on the menu. The natural ambiance accompanied by exceptional service reflects the restaurants’ goal of bringing a piece of their culture to your plate. It is clear that 107 Taste strives for an enjoyable and wonderful experience for their customers while treating their guests as friends and even family.