Resolving Modern Resolutions: Pandemic Edition

By Krysthel Cisneros

Staff Writer

Around the same time each year, people across the globe commit to the popular tradition of declaring New Year’s Resolutions. For some, this may be running an Ironman Triathlon and for others it may be beginning to do meal-prepping. 

Regardless of the measure of these goals, the looming presence of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic can drive individuals to seek completing their creative resolutions in practical ways. One thing this pandemic has brought for certain is time. Too much time some might say. 

Whether one has been let off from work or finds themselves in quarantine, recreational time is a given. Artistic individuals such as senior Diana Moreno will be finding themselves pursuing new endeavors that would have not been sought prior. 

“Makeup is art to me, and I love enhancing people’s natural beauty and helping bring others most confident version of themselves…” Moreno said. For the past few months, Moreno has been able to cultivate her passion for makeup artistry and begin exploring the idea of becoming a freelance makeup artist. 

The most common adjustments for this set of New Year’s resolutions are cleanliness, sanitation, and disinfection. “I have to make sure to follow stricter sanitary procedures when handling my future clients,” she said. 

Mr. Motivation will be everyone’s best friend this year. Personal pursuits will only be resolved by having them align with your motivations.

“Committing to my New Year’s resolution aligns with my new motivation of taking my makeup skills to the next level…learning and improving my makeup techniques which is something I really want to accomplish,” Moreno said.

Hint hint: the key to maintaining our New Year’s resolutions this year is understanding that new limits will only produce innovative solutions to meet our goals.