Ramblings: An ode to the Class of 2020

By Piper Penney

Editor-in-Chief

As I get out of bed for yet another day at home, I look back on all of the memories I had this school year. For seniors, reflecting upon our time at MAST is a natural part of our spring semester as we close out this part of our lives, but it was never meant to end this way. I took the ideas of prom, senior breakfast, and graduation for granted, just assuming they would happen. Our potential last day of school happened and the seniors didn’t even get to go on our senior run.

I left MAST for what could be the last time feeling scared and anxious about the future – not because I was excited about college and my adult life, but because I was worried that I may lose people close to me to the virus. 

For the Class of 2020, sudden world-changing events are not new. We are the children born after 9/11 into a world where the words terrorism, climate change, war, and school shooting have become commonplace. We have grown up in an era of fear, yet we have proven that we refuse to be defined by it. 

Yes, our senior year did not go the way we expected it to go. But it was never meant to. Although I am biased, I truly believe that the Class of 2020 is something special. This entirely justifies that claim. No matter what happens, I know that our senior year will be one to remember.