Spooky seasonal Salty Donut treats

By Ella Lima
Staff Writer

All Halloween donuts available (Top row left to right) the Pumpkin Spice Cake donut, Mint Chocolate Chip Frankenstein donut,Pumpkin Spice Cake donut. (Bottom row left to right) Boo-berry, Pumpkin Spice Cake donut, CheesecakeWhite Chocolate Skull (Photo by Ella Lima).

If you live in Miami, you have probably heard of the local donut shop The Salty Donut. The Salty Donut currently has two locations, one in Wynwood and South Miami. Although they are not allowing customers inside the store, you can order at the window or online! The Salty Donut was opened in 2015 by Andy Rodriguez and Amanda Pizarro. Rodriguez and Pizarro started out with little pop-ups at places like The Thompson Hotel and Swine Southern; after that, they went to venture out to create The Salty Donut. The Salty Donut has seasonal donuts that appear at certain times of the year as well. For fall and Halloween, they have created some delicious goodies for all to enjoy

Menu for The Salty Donut (Photo by Ella Lima).

One of the seasonal donuts is called Pumpkin Spice Cake Donuts, which consists of a Pumpkin cake donut with pumpkin spiced glaze topped with crushed pumpkin spice cookies for $3.25. The Pumpkin Spice Cake Donut is available from October through November. This donut is great for those who love that perfect fall combination of cinnamon and pumpkin. 

You can also purchase this donut, the Pumpkin Spice Cake donut, as donut holes (Photo by Ella Lima).

Halloween donuts are packed with strange flavors. One of the donuts that has returned for another year is the White Chocolate Skull for $3. The White Chocolate Skull is great for glaze donut lovers, perfect for those who like a more classic and straightforward donut. The donut is a skull-shaped brioche with white chocolate glaze. Sadly, this donut was only offered from October 30 to October 31.

The only Halloween donut to make a second appearance, White Chocolate Skull donut (Photo by Ella Lima).

The second of the Halloween donuts is the Boo-berry Cheesecake donut is a ghost shaped brioche filled with fresh blueberry cheesecake, white chocolate glaze, and sprinkled with crushed freeze-dried blueberries. It is the perfect donut for those who love a berry cheesecake and filled donuts. This donut is tart. This donut costs $3.25.

Boo-berry Cheesecake, the final Halloween flavor available for purchase at The Salty Donut (Photo by Ella Lima).

The third and final donut is the Mint Chocolate Chip Frankenstein. This donut is a brioche filled with whipped mint chocolate chip cream, fresh mint-infused glaze, topped with crushed Oreo cookies, and hand piped chocolate. This donut is the most eye catching out of the four with its variations of green, brown, and beige decorations. This donut is for those chocolate lovers. The Frankensteins’ monster shaped donut has rich, decadent chocolate with subtle mint flavor. This donut cost $3.75.

Mint Chocolate Chip Frankenstein donut was the first Halloween flavor that was available at The Salty Donut (Photo by Ella Lima).

If you are not much of a donut person and more of a coffee lover, then you would love the Pumpkin Spiced latte. This latte costs $6. This coffee tastes like dipping a glazed pumpkin donut in a freshly brewed latte. The seasonal latte is combined with maple-pumpkin syrup, which is the most wonderful treat to get into the fall vibes.

The Pumpkin Spice Latte, the other half of the “Pumpkin Spice Cake donut combo” (Photo by Ella Lima).

If the names or descriptions caught your eye, then you should visit The Salty Donut closest to you. 

Even if you are not looking for something special for the holidays, The Salty Donut is an excellent place to get delicious tasting sweets and drinks. 

Watercolor recreations of the Halloween donuts that were available at The Salty Donut. (Drawing by Giorgia Cattaneo)