Black History Month Showcase

Black History Month showcase was a great look at diversity and pride
Mateo Zamora
From left: MAST Academy sophomore Alicia Castillo, freshman Rashmi Karthik, and senior Mia Reyes sing “Hit the Road Jack” during the Black History Month Showcase at the school’s auditorium on Feb. 28, 2024.

On February 28th MAST celebrated Black History Month with a showcase. This was an event where MAST students celebrated African American culture, history, and achievements with some students even participating in these acts.

It was a great outlet for self expression, and allowing students to share their art, talents, and perspectives. Each section within the showcase represented black artists and icons, showing their contributions across various fields like music, art, and activism.

These sections included cover performances of icons such as Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix, Lenny Kravitz and many more. By representing these figures, students not only pay respects to their legacies but also find inspiration in their resilience and innovation.

This showcase showed a sense of pride, unity, and understanding, inspiring students to embrace their heritage while having appreciation and respect for black history.