Marvel Studio’s ‘The Marvels’: Movie Review

The Captain Marvel, Wandavision, and Ms. Marvel spinoff: Is it worth the watch?

On Nov. 10, Marvel released their Captain Marvel, Wandavision, and Ms. Marvel spinoff, combining the characters into “The Marvels“.

Directing and Cast

Director Nia Dacosta, who also directed horror movies Candy Man & Little Woods, and screenwriter Meghan McDonnell both did exceptionally well on this film up until the third act. In addition, the acting was, in my opinion, the best part of the movie. The dynamic seen between Kamala Khan (Iman Vellani), Monica Rambeau (Tenyonah Paris) and Carol Danvers (Brie Larson) was a distinguishable part of the acting all throughout as well as the dynamic between Kamala Khan and her family, which further pushed Iman Vellani’s acting abilities, making her the star of the production.

The Movie

If you’re looking for an emotional comedy packed with action then this is the movie for you. However, out of 10, this movie was a 7.5.

You may be wondering, “What distances this movie from a 10 if it has everything I want?”

Well, there are two reasons: the villain and the resolve of the movie. The villain in the movie, Darr-Ben (Zawe Ashton) was not very promising and fit the cookie cutter mold too well for the main villain in a marvel film. Although Zawe Ashton’s acting in this film was phenomenal, her storyline was overall weak and not very good. The character’s motives provided good closure for the film but she just didn’t feel like a main villain.

As for the second reason, the third act of the movie was very rushed as it felt like they tried to add a whole new character too late into the film and then rushed them out just as quickly, leaving the act very messy. In addition, the end of the movie focused too much on what would happen in future films instead of focusing on the actual movie. The movie, with a runtime of 1 hour and 45 minutes, should have been bumped up to an extra 20 minutes to provide audience with a more complete resolve that did not feel crammed.

Outside Reviews

While Marvel Studio’s has a large fan base, when it comes to female lead movies the fan base tends to break apart and become less supportive.

The Marvel’s currently has a rotten tomato score of 61% and an IMDb rating of 6/10 overall, leaving this movie with a negative score. This does not mean however, that you should not try to experience the movie firsthand.