We Are Not Celebrating LGBTQ+ History Month

Miami-Dade Public School board rejects the recognition of October as LGBTQ+ History Month
The Miami-Dade County School Board prepares to vote on item H-11, an acknowledgement of LGBTQ+ History Month. The vote failed. Via MDCPS Board live stream.

The Miami-Dade School Board has voted, 5 to 3, and decided to not recognize October as LGBTQ+ History Month.

Due to the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill passed earlier this year by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, barring any mention of LGBTQ+ in Florida classrooms, this outcome was not a complete surprise. However, sponsors of the resolution to recognize October as LGBTQ+ History Month fought back as strong as ever.

“A number of LGBTQ historical events and people of all races have contributed to the history of equality for all people, and LGBTQ individuals have made and continue to make lasting contributions to strengthen the fabric of American society,” the resolution states.

The September 7th board meeting was packed. People of all different beliefs attended. Some thought the resolution showed compassion and should be passed, others saw it as indoctrination.

LGBTQ+ History Month is meant to recognize queer people who have shaped and changed our political, societal, and cultural landscapes: from the late 1960s to early 1980s gay civil rights movement to icons like Girl in Red and Ru Paul.

The recognition of LGBTQ+ History Month was supposed to be symbolic and “non binding”, as clarified by the sponsor of the resolution and School Board Member, Lucia Baez-Geller at the board meeting, it would not impose on the student curriculum or instruction.

“Pride Month celebrates being queer now…but we also have to celebrate the history of how we were able to get to this point,” freshman, Taylor Valvez, who identifies as queer, said.

Groups like the Proud Boys were there in protest and queer identifying students were there as well, hoping the resolution would pass.

The result however was that Miami-Dade County Public Schools, including MAST Academy, would not be celebrating LGBTQ+ History Month.