We Are In Uncharted Territory

I’ve been prepared to take a bullet for my students and sadly these days that is unpreventable, however this I feel is preventable. I have to question those leaders in charge, who’ve taken so many steps to increase security at our schools, and yet we are letting a silent killer into our buildings before we are ready”

Mr. Raymond  
Screenshot from the Miami Herald. Above is Mr.Raymond.

Introduction by Giorgia Cattaneo
Truck Editor 

MAST History teacher/Tik Tok sensation Mr. Raymond is one of MAST’s beloved teachers. He is definitely a lone wolf and never fears going against the grain. Recently, Mr. Raymond was featured on Miami Herald’s front page while protesting with an advocacy group formed by MAST’s very own Ms. Rampey. On Monday, September 28th, 2020, the teacher’s union held a peaceful demonstration outside of Miami-Dade County School Board headquarters. They were expressing their discontent with the state pressuring school administrators to open school on Monday for in-person classes. The following is what he had to say to the Beacon in response to the current situation: 

“In the ongoing debate about when and how and to reopen schools during the Coronavirus pandemic, we all agree that there is no substitute for the traditional “face-to-face” classroom experience. There really are no winners in this debate as to what is right and what is wrong, as we are in uncharted territory. From a teacher’s perspective, I truly empathize with families who are impacted by the temporary closing of the school facilities. We all want what is best for the children and our community in general. 

It seems to me that administrators and teachers have also been placed in an impossible situation. Many of us are caregivers to family members and are ourselves more at risk from this deadly virus. In order to work remotely, the district has required that teachers and faculty members submit lengthy medical documentation that demonstrates that we are at higher risk. I have some underlying health risks that worry me about returning to our school site. I live for teaching, but I have to live in order to keep doing it. I am also about to say goodbye to my elderly parents for the time being as I won’t be able to interact with them when we return to campus and put them at risk. 

I have surprisingly had a great experience with online learning after a steep learning curve. However, teaching mostly seniors and sophomores who are extremely motivated makes it that much easier. Again, it is no substitute to the face-to-face model, and I miss that aspect, but the videoconferencing technology continues to allow me to have engaging interactions with my students and there is a comfort knowing that we are in a safer place. I just hope that we aren’t rushing into this, as lives are at stake, but only time will tell. 

I know this will be a challenging year for us all, one that we will never forget. However, I know that we will rise to the occasion and make the best of a difficult situation.” 

View Comments (1)

Activate Search
We Are In Uncharted Territory