Health first

For this issue, we asked our writers to highlight some of our Makos’ opinions about returning back to school or staying online.

By Emma Almanza 
Staff Writer

With states now surpassing two-hundred thousand COVID-19 related deaths, and the school year flying by, school-boards around the country are running around (or rather fidgeting in their home offices) about whether or not to start physical schooling. Here at home, Miami-Dade County Public Schools officials have recently agreed on beginning ‘Phase 2’ on October 5th. These seemingly rushed and premature plans to return to schools have raised concerns among students, parents, and most of our teachers.   

According to English teacher Monica Floreani, the district is pushing for all teachers to come back when schools reopen. Still, with our administration and staff’s help, MAST Academy is going on a case by case basis to ensure conditions like health and comfort are satisfactory for teachers’ returns. “I trust that Dr. Mckoy has everybody’s best interest at heart and that gives not only myself but many many people in our Makos community peace of mind,” Floreani said.

Floreani has reservations about returning to in-person learning.

“Personally I don’t feel comfortable with face to face interaction given the risks. I don’t think it’s the right time yet.” Floreani expressed. She admits that distance learning has been difficult and requires more discipline from students, but says it is the right thing to do given the circumstances. Despite the learning curve that has occurred because of online school, she has made her classes productive and has seen significant progress from her students. Along with being a teacher, Floreani is the mother of two children, so she understands the worries and concerns that many parents have right now. While she understands online learning may be impacting their academic progression, she strongly fears sending them back. 

“I don’t take this virus lightly,” Floreani said. She acknowledges the need for children to go back to school, but believes, “The most important thing is health, without health, the rest is all a faraway second.”

Mrs.Floreani hopes this pandemic will soon come under control with a vaccine, so it no longer impacts our lives the way it has. She hopes we can gradually make our way back to school and have a very successful year despite our difficulties.