Stellus shines at Art Basel

The DIY-bedroom pop band features lead singer (and MAST junior) Luna Cordoba
Maria Duque
MAST Academy junior Luna Cordoba performs at Art Sea during Art Basel Miami on Dec. 1, 2022.

Luna Cordoba, a girl with the name of the glimmering moon and musical talent that shines even brighter, might walk the halls of MAST Academy seeming like the typical 11th grader Mako, but when she goes to practice after school for her very own band, Stellus, she can escape to her part-time bassist lifestyle and wield her creative talent. 

Stellus, Cordoba’s band, consists of her and three other members. Since forming in 2021, they’ve produced countless shows, released over numerous songs, and even performed in Art Basel last month. Her band members consist of Luis Perez, the singer, Max Leon, the drummer, and Johnny Aguirre, the guitar player.

“I met the drummer since we go to music school and take music classes together. We met with the band and all became super good friends through one session, and the rest is history.” said Cordoba, “We make pop-indie-rock music. We pretty much make all our songs about love, most music is, and we try to make upbeat-happy dance music. Some of our songs are kind of sad, but I think the message we want to put out is inclusivity, something everyone can enjoy, listen to, and have fun too.

“My parents can like it, my little brother can like it, I want everyone to listen to it and like it, that’s kind of the vibe we’re going for.”

Just as Luna is fond of her band, her bandmates seem to feel the same way about her. 

“Working with Luna in Stellus is tough because she is always juggling different tasks in her personal life, but it is always a good time to have Luna’s energy and unique character around.” said Stellus singer Luis Perez, “I enjoy making music as a part of Stellus because it’s not just about the music. Its purpose is to also allow everyone to freely express themselves as well as embrace others without worrying what others might think. We are a safe space for all that just want to love.” 

“My entire life I’ve always been surrounded by music because my parents are very artistic, and in fourth grade I started playing the cello and then from there I started with orchestra and playing a bunch of instruments, and went onward from there. I now play electric bass, upright bass, guitar, piano, drums, most string instruments, and sometimes I sing.” said Luna Cordoba

To Cordoba, music seems to be something to be greatly appreciated in life. It can do so much for so many people, including the musician and audience. 

“It makes me feel like I have a purpose, like my purpose is to express myself through music. If I can make music people can relate to, have fun to, or can make them feel any type of way, that makes me very happy. I feel like I’ve always had to make music and express my feelings through music.” 

In addition to her work as a part of Stellus and making music on her own, Cordoba also plays an active role in MAST Academy’s very own music program.

“I am in music ensemble 3 in school, and the performing arts club. I perform in the majority, if not all of the showcases at MAST!” stated Cordoba. 

“She’s great.” said music teacher Mr. Gomez, “She always wants to do more, she always wants to do something difficult and add more notes. She is very talented.”

Cordoba’s life seems to revolve around music, and it seems like she wants it to continue to.

“Hopefully I can do music only, for the rest of my life. I want to produce my own music, make my own, and eventually become like a solo artist but also be able to play with other people, but producing would be my dream.”