MAST Artist Wins Statewide Award for Food Waste Prevention

By: Stefania Da Graca

Staff Writer

In February 2020, students from all over Florida took part in the Florida Food Waste Prevention Week art contest, raising awareness to reduce food waste with activities from home. One of our many talented Makos, freshman Francisca Garrisino, brought pride to our school by winning second place in the state for her shockingly honest drawing of a young victim of food waste. 

Garrisino’s drawing depicts a hungry child rummaging for food scraps. (Photo by Francisca Garrisino)

“My inspiration came out of personal experience after walking through different cities and inevitably seeing people starving in the streets, begging for money or food or any type of reassurance that they would survive through the night,” Garrisino said. 

Food waste is receiving increasing attention as an important contributor to climate change After many years, counties, schools, and citizens are  starting to take charge of this cause. Francisca was happy that her artwork could help to shine a light on this important cause.

“I was surprised, but mostly overjoyed, as I found out that something I had done was actually being recognized and would help raise awareness…I never imagined there would be even a possibility that I was going to win, I thought I was simply submitting extra credit work for my class,” Garrisino said. 

Along with Garrisino and Other makos, it is essential to support organizations like these and share knowledge for the cause that could possibly reduce prices and methane emissions along with carbon footprints from our planet, especially though many activities covid safe, and that impact through art, social media and other entertainment outlets that will help reach the goal.