VAXX Academy: MAST students line up for COVID vaccines

By: Isa Martinez
Staff Writer

Cindy Perez was one of the many teens determined to get her vaccination and is pictured excited after receiving her first dose.

A wave of relief washes across students as things are finally starting to look up for teens across the nation. Florida has taken the next big step towards normalcy by allowing residents as young as 16 to receive the COVID vaccine. People all around the globe may be able to rest a little easier knowing that a vaccine is now available and things are slowly getting back to normal. The eponymous Moderna and J&J vaccines are accessible to anyone over the age of 18, while Pfizer is the only vaccine available for anyone 16 and older. In a short amount of time, many teens have been committed to do their part by going to get their vaccines. Junior Kristen Harrington was first in line to get her first dose and shares her experience with the vaccine. 

“I was super confident in the science behind Pfizer and it was 100 percent my personal decision to get it. I will admit, I was a little nervous about the side effects but I felt amazing after getting it,” Harrington said. 

Despite suspicions and conspiracy theories, many have made it a priority to get their vaccines to suppress the rising COVID cases. In the long run, this could be the tipping point in finally going back to life before the virus outbreak. Hoping that all students receive both doses of the vaccine, the possibility of no masks and 100 percent capacity in school can be achievable. Junior Cindy Perez received both doses of the Pfzier vaccine and has high hopes for next school year. 

“I believe that the vaccine will positively impact the upcoming school year since it will most likely give schools more freedom to host events like before,” Perez said.

Florida schools are expecting to welcome all students back to school by next Fall. Future graduating classes are now able to look forward to the possibility of in-person pep rallies, prom, and graduation. 

“I hope that the seniors of next year will get most, if not all the activities that we have been looking forward to all of our highschool years,” Harrington said.

Many seniors have expressed that this year has been especially difficult considering the undesirable circumstances. Back in April, Miami-Dade County released the exciting news that MAST will be having an in-person graduation on June 8, 2021 located at the Miami-Dade Fair and Expo venue. With acceptances rolling in and college decisions flying left to right, the class of 2021 can end the school year with a bang. With low expectations at the start of the school year, we are slowly but surely making the steps needed to move into a new normal. 

“I really hope that all of the students can go back to school next year. I know things will not automatically return to normal but hopefully everyone will be able to have a nice school year,” Perez said.