Makos Fight In the Pool

By: Stefania De Graca
Staff Writer

“It’s been surprisingly good. We did not expect to be doing this well,” said freshman water polo player Gustavo Mandari about the fascinating but challenging season of our boys’ water polo team. The boys continue to surpass their expectations for the season, proving that there is no match for Makos.

“We are doing pretty good right now after only losing two games that is actually really good,” said freshman Mateo Murdocca, another player on the team. The boys lost two games, one against Ransom with a score of 32-12 and the oher Belen, to a score of 28-6. The match against Belen was challenging, “even though we lost by a larger amount to ransom, Belen definitely had us really close,” said Mandari.

Our MAST water polo girls’ team did not disappoint after winning one game out of four. Their winning game against Ransom, ended with a score of 11-8. “It feels nice to know we did better than the boys. They are always ahead, so this time it was like wow” said freshman Ariadna Bertran.

Showing girl power and appreciating their coach, “We love you, coach,” exclaimed Natalia Antonetti, number 10 on the girls’ team. These girls left everyone surprised at what they are capable of.

The Girls Water Polo team during their game against KROP on March 18. (Photo by Andrea Castiblanco)

“We only lost one game against Ransom, but I am sure that we will be doing great at GMAC,” said Ana Balabuchdalbo, another one of our girls’ team players confirming that the girls are positive to keep improving. With the help of their coach, “our coach is great. He’s helping us improve this season,” Murdocca claimed that the losses did not affect the teams’ motivation to do even better at the Greater Miami Athletic Conference, also known as GMAC.

No doubt how great it turns out when the team has a healthy relationship. “I love playing for MAST because I get to practice and with my teammates, who I also consider my friends,” said freshman Ignacio Rivera, a player on the water polo team. Also, the support from the Makos family motivates them. We will be looking forward to doing an even better performance at GMAC from our girls’ and boys’ teams. GO MAKOS!

The Boys Water Polo team practicing before their big game against KROP. (Photo by Andrea Castiblanco)