2021: Year of the Fashionista

By: Andrea Castiblanco

Sports Editor

A new year excites people with setting new goals for themselves, and for sophomore Sophia Domenech, 2021 begins with cleaning out her closet. Like most girls her age, Sophia views fashion as one of the most vibrant and telling outlets of individuality and believes that as she grows, so should her style.

“The older I get, the more fashion trends I become exposed to and with that, the more styles I begin to incorporate in creating my own” said Domenech.

From all the chaos brought by the past year, Domenech shared that it was all the months cooped at home during quarantine that really grew her passion for clothes. The more time spent at home, the more hours that teens spent on social media, not only scrolling through their feeds but posting their own content.

“I would spend my days endlessly scrolling through my Tik Tok and Instagram, watching post after post of clothing hauls and ads for boutiques made by girls my own age and remember thinking how much I wanted their clothes and a platform like theirs” said Domenech. Sophia counted that she must had gone on online shopping sprees twice a month for the past six months to feed her need to rejuvenate her style and keep up with what’s trending. 

Sophia showing off her style with a vintage leather jacket. Photo Courtesy of: Sophie Domenech

The start of 2021 gave Sophia the push to make space for her new clothes and clean out her old outfits.

“I spent all of January 1stseparating my closet into sections of what I do not wear anymore, what does not fit me, and what I was to keep. In the end, I was only keeping about 30% of my clothes, mostly all of which was the clothing I had recently bought in the past few months” said Domenech on her closet cleaning.

With piles of clothes that no longer served her any use, Sophia saw the opportunity to set up yet another new year’s resolution: gain a platform for her fashion. She quickly downloaded the social shopping app Depop and built a page dedicated to selling her clothes. Sophia hopes to continue finding new looks and inspire other’s style with her own wardrobe.