Newest Addition to the World Cup 2022

By: Stefania Da Graca
Staff Writer

In the year 2010,  the plans to build five stadiums for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar were finally shared with the world, after 11 years and began building three stadiums around the country. On December 18, 2020, Qatar was ready to inaugurate their fourth Stadium, Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium.

The Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium, located in the city of Al Rayyan, which is surrounded by the desert, replaces the previously known Al Rayyan Stadium, which was demolished in the year 2015. The Al Rayyan Stadium did not hold the space to host the mass crowds that the World Cup usually brings. The stadium originally held a seating of 21,282 people,and after years of construction, it now holds the capacity of 40,740. Innovations such as multimedia screens were added to surround the stadium and traditional Qatari decoration known as Naqsh decorated the beautiful pillars, representing the culture of Qatar. 

The most prominent alteration, however,  is what is being called an “open-air-cooled venue”. Knowing the site’s average temperature, it was made sure that each individual is cooled from different air flows at the stadium, even though it is an open venue with a tremendous open roof. It’s a technological effect that will shock visitors.

The stadium’s opening ceremony had everyone pleased to host the 48th Amir Cup final on Qatar National Day with a spectacular light and firework show. The company of an animated social distanced crowd and most notably His Highness the Amir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, attended the opening. The Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium was welcomed as the fourth functional venue which will be hosting seven games at the FIFA World Cup 2022.

“It’s going to be a weird but interesting event,” said Mr. Rui Gomez, MAST soccer and swimming coach, who claimed that the stadiums were constructed by workers who were mistreated due to Qatar being in a hurry to impress the world. Among all the doubts, Qatar wanted to prove that the country can keep up with a World Cup and can live up to the momentous occasion. “The different cultures and beliefs from so far away, mixing with thousands of visitors traveling from all around the world is going to be strange to watch but wishing for the best” said Mr. Riu Gomez.

It will definitely be intriguing watching how this country will mold to the World Cup and what it brings. The world already seems to welcome the venue with great excitement as it’s going well with the reviews of the beautiful ceremony and structure of the very new Ahmad Bin Ali stadium.

The new Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium hours before its opening ceremony on December 18. (Photo Courtesy of 2020 Qatar Supreme Committee)