Senior Issue 2024
June 5, 2024

A look into MAST’s dance crew

Three members of the Dance Crew share what it’s like to perform for the entire school.

The MAST Academy Dance Crew is a part of the performing arts club. Together they focus on creating dances and routines to perform for the students at the school. They have performed at various events including pep rallies, showcases, and much more. Here are some of the captains and members talking about their experiences and what it’s like being on the dance crew.

Angelina Davis

MAST Academy senior Angelina Davis is Makos Dance Crew’s Co-captain. She has a strong passion for dance, and she have been doing it practically all her life.

Davis joined the dance crew her sophomore year, along with senior Daniel De Aguiar who is the other co-captain. She always knew that she wouldn’t want to give up dance, the idea of the school spirit, friendships, and recognition.

Davis loves the friendships and bonds that she forms through dance crew. She says that is it nice having a group of people that go through the same as you.

One of her many favorite moments on dance crew was when they performed at a second pep rally. She feels that that was one of their best performances and that the girls had so much fun with the choreography.

For her, the best part of being captain is probably watching the team grow. Some of these girls don’t come from a dance training background and it’s amazing how well they pick up on choreography and how well they perform it.

Davis is honored to have been given the chance to be captain her senior year and she loved everything, even the hard times that came with it.

“We aren’t just teammates, we’re family, Davis said.

⁠Daniel De Aguiar

⁠Senior Daniel De Aguiar was born in Venezuela. He moved to Miami 6 years ago and he joined dance crew halfway through his sophomore year.

De Aguiar’s inspiration to join the Dance Crew was that he had always loved dancing but had never done it before other than for fun at home. He wanted to try something new and thought dance would be fun to do.

“⁠My favorite part about being in dance crew is meeting with the girls, we have grown to become a family and I love every girl in the crew. It is always so much fun having practice with the girls and enjoying each other’s company,” De Aguiar told The Beacon.

For De Aguiar⁠, the best part about being a captain is that he gets to execute his ideas. The girls really help make his ideas come to life and it is always amazing to see the final product after all the hard work they put into each performance.

“I had no dance experience before joining dance crew and I managed to be one of the captains of this amazing team so there is no stopping anyone from trying out,” De Aguiar said.

Gabriela Mesa

Freshman Gabriela Mesa is a dance crew member who moved from Colombia just a year ago. At the beginning of the year, she saw the post announcing dance crew auditions in the MAST calendar and join.

Mesa has been dancing her whole life, since the age of two, except for middle school when she had to stop because of the pandemic. She saw it as an opportunity to restart her dancing journey.

For Mesa, shows and performances are definitely the best part because the crew gets to get ready together and perform. Spirit week was one of her favorite weeks this year because not only was it their first time dancing, but they also danced twice!

“Pep rally and the Hispanic heritage showcase are two of my favorite performances and starting off the year with those two made it completely amazing,” Mesa said.

Dance crew is a club that not only makes friendships but also adds a touch of fun and excitement to someone’s year. Mesa encourages anyone who enjoys dancing to join.

“Forming part of this team has been such a fun and amazing experience and I love every single part of it,” Mesa expressed.