Gulliver Prep edges MAST boys’ soccer for District championship

Will they be eliminated or move on to Regional playoffs?
Gulliver Prep players celebrate after defeating MAST Academy in the District 16-4A championship game on Jan. 31, 2024. Beacon photo.

MAST’s boys’ soccer team travelled to Pinecrest on Tuesday to face Gulliver Prep for the District 16-4A title. A heartbreaking goal gave the Raiders the trophy over the Makos in a 1-0 final.

A strong first half, on part of both teams, raised the tension not only on the field, but on the sidelines as well. As the game continued into the second half, fans became restless as the scoreboard stayed scoreless. Tension peaked, however, during the first ten minutes of overtime, when Gulliver scored a free kick. MAST players and coaches objected, as the referee had not blown his whistle. The goal was disallowed, and the score went back to 0-0.

However, Gulliver finally took the victory with moments remaining, as a goal in the 97th minute kept the game from going to penalty kicks.

It is still unsure whether the Makos is now eliminated or if they will continue onto regional playoffs. The team is still waiting to see where they are seeded.