Harvard President Claudine Gay

Harvard President Claudine Gay resigned after her testimony on Tuesday, which started hard criticism and led the leadership of Harvard to say they don’t trust her to protect Jewish students at the University so she was pressured to resign. This all occurred because of rising complaints about antisemitism and how nothing was being done about it on campus.

“When words amplify distress and pain, I don’t know how you could feel anything but regret,” Gay said. 

Gay said she wanted to use her testimony Tuesday to highlight efforts at Harvard to prevent antisemitism. Her statement only made things worse for her, however. 

She then said that she would leave her position as president and left on that Tuesday afternoon and that they would soon begin a search for a new president. Gay’s time as president was the shortest in Harvard’s history. Gay at 53, said that she will continue to work on Harvard’s faculty.

Gay also faced allegations of plagiarism after reports in the Free Beacon and Substack claimed she had plagiarized parts of her 1997 Ph.D.

In her letter announcing her resignation Tuesday, Gay acknowledged the questions about her academic work.

“It has been distressing to have doubt cast on my commitments to confronting hate and to upholding scholarly rigor two bedrock values that are fundamental to who I am,” Gay wrote in her letter.