Time For Tennis

The Makos Boys and Girls Tennis teams pick up their rackets as they return to the courts for their 2021 season.
Daniela Castiblanco
The team shirts for the Girls Tennis team. The white shirt is used for practice and games, while the red is for your keep.

With spring approaching, its seasonal sports begin to make a comeback at Mast Academy. One of the sports making its return is tennis and students prepare to take out their rackets, reapply their grip and serve away to tryouts for the new season.

Tryouts were held on February 1stand 2ndat the Key Biscayne Tennis Association at Crandon Golf Course, and all attending had to have completed a physical and have insurance on file. Teams were quickly filled up with each being composed of ten players. Within each team, the players are ranked 1-10 based off of effort, skill, and winning percentage.

The following week practice was held at the Key Biscayne Tennis Association at Crandon Golf Course where all players were welcome to come, but since tennis is mostly an individual effort, many of the players on the teams have their own personal coaches that they practice with instead. Regularly there are also practices held for certain players, in which they play to defend their ranking or raise it. Sophomore tennis manager Daniela Castiblanco says “at about every practice, players are seen battling it out for the higher rank on the team. There will be a practice one day where two girls will play against each other to compete for #5. Whoever wins, receives the rank and goes onto play with another to potentially raise their ranking”. Currently #1 on the Boys Tennis team is junior Nicolas Rebolledo and on the Girls Tennis team #1 belongs to freshman Ashania Martínez. 

The first game of the season was held on February 18thagainst St. Brendan High School at the Key Biscayne Tennis Association at Crandon Golf Course, where the Makos won the majority of the games. The following game was held on March 1stagainst La Salle at the KB Tennis Association at Crandon Golf Course. The games were all close and ultimately for the Boys tennis team, senior Humberto Ramirez won his game. The Makos were then scheduled to play St. Brendan again on March 4thand Ransom on March 10thbut the games were cancelled due to bad weather. Miami’s unpredictable weather is not the only thing that the Makos tennis teams have had to worry about interrupting their season. “Covid-19 has also made it difficult for scheduling. When our players get quarantined, it messes up pairs and ideal match ups and creates a big mess” says senior tennis player Victoria Gualtieri. The Makos played Gulliver on March 12that Tropical Park, where the Makos lost 6-1. #1 for the Boys, Nicolas Rebolledo highlighted the match with beating the #1 for Gulliver. “This year has been tough and that win over a great component, meant a lot as a player and for the team” said junior Nicolas Rebolledo.

The tennis teams recently also received their team shirts from BSN Sports, and are looking forward to getting hoodies. 

The team shirts for the Girls Tennis team. The white shirt is used for practice and games, while the red is for your keep. (Photo Courtesy by Daniela Castiblanco)

Both the Boys and Girls Tennis teams look forward to playing La Salle at 2:30 p.m. on March 25that the KB Tennis Association at Crandon Golf Course. Go Makos!